Saturday, August 11, 2007

Mysterious Island - Part II - The Arrival

Well, a few days of sea travel and eating bugs, trying to wash them down with wine, all the while surrounded by overly formal 19th century eccentrics, a demanding Time Lord(I love 'im but he really can test my patience), and a dwindling herd of penguins, can really make you wish for land. It was only a few days of sailing but it seemed an eternity. During our meals, Lady Palowakski was constantly stealing Sputnik's drinks and giving me useless spells in exchange(What do I need 'em for?...I got natural magic oozing outta my pores). And like a Time Lord doesn't notice that sort of thing! He seemed rather amused by it as far as I can tell. I thought maybe Darkling might need them though, so I pocketed the spells anyway. Bet she does a little dance over these!
Well, finally, we sighted the shore and the most ridiculous debate ensued as to what to do next. Talk about too many cooks! Of course, that genius of navigation, Captain Sparrow just had to stick his oar into the discussion whilst abandoning the wheel to do it. Blammo! ...it got us ashore and resolved the silly discussion at once.The ship ran up against the island.
OH
AND
get this...
Right in the middle of all that arguing, just before the crash....a little voice pipes out of the aether..“Before you all go dashing onto the damn beach maybe you should let the kitten OUT of the bag before she FREAKIN‘ suffocates after all this DAMN time? JEBUS!”
Only a certain 19th century feline who'd been hanging around a certain 21st century Sidhe would be using slang like that!
Just as I'd surmised we had a most welcome stowaway, and as we bashed gracefully ashore with our ship... an apple barrel rolls across the deck, dashes Gnarli aside and overboard, hitting the railing of the ship, finally splitting open to reveal....THE CAT!!! YAY! Well. I was pretty darned happy to see her! She seemed none the worse for wear, although a bit appley. I secretly thanked her for the amusement, as watching Gnarli sail thru the air was kinda good. Poor guy. It looked like it hurt, though nothing compared to getting busy with dolphins(you wouldn't believe the story he told Sputnik! Thank god for Sputnik's gossip retention. It's kept me from going nuts during this trip).
But I digress....
and as Gnarli clambered back on board, all wet, he looked at Kira incredulously and instantly proclaimed her banned from the adventure. If he only knew the trouble Sputnik and I dragged her into on a continual basis with the ETC...and she always lands on her feet! Human males...over protective if you ask me. Well..Kira decided right then and there that it might give her great satisfaction to scratch Gnarli's eyes out and I had to swiftly grab her by the scruff and pull her off the vulnerable human. I knew she'd be sorry for it later, even if she couldn't see it now, and the easiest way I could think of improving her mood was to drag her over to the Sputnik. Time Lords do so like inferior beings for company and having TWO is always better than one. Makes his self proclaimed superiority that much more within reach(the dreamer). And I was right; he was overjoyed to see her and she forgot her bad mood immediately.
Ahhh...an assistant's work is never done.

No comments: